Sure-footed mountain goats bound between boulders on the Mount Evans summit.
• Mount Evans, the highest paved road in North America climbs to a 14,000-foot summit where expansive views, a historical observatory and wildlife await. Part three of our three-part series on Colorado’s highest-elevation roads. Story by Ian Neligh.
• Ride the rails on the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad, the longest and loftiest narrow-gauge route remaining in the United States. Story and photographs by Dan Leeth.
• Victor, a mining mecca west of Pikes Peak marks a 125-year history and looks forward to a golden future. Story by Sue McMillin. Photographs by Joshua Hardin.
• A photographic book captures the architecture, nature and agriculture of Knapp Ranch beneath Eagle County peaks. Story by Tom Hess. Photographs by Todd Winslow Pierce.
• Tailgating recipes to get you ready for the big game.
• Canon City’s prison-inspired biking trails. Story by Sue McMillin.
• The Upper Piney River Falls trail near Vail is a cornucopia of color for hikers.
• Denver doors that lead nowhere. Story by Leah M. Charney.
• A Longmont casket maker makes natural coffins from beetle-kill pine. Story by Lisa Truesdale.
• Undaunted gardens in Fort Collins.
• Southwest Colorado’s gnarly landscapes inspire a Montrose painter.
• Higher Ground: Rocky Mountain National Park’s centerpiece, Hallett Peak.
• Go.See.Do.: Harvest fun at Monte Vista Potato Festival, Cedaredge Applefest and Pedal the Plains.
• Top Take: Fall Fly Fishing.
• Colorado Connections to Movies and TV in Trivia.
• The seasonal transformation of trees colors the work of Colorado poets.
Grab a copy of Colorado Life’s September/October 2019 issue just about anywhere magazines are sold in Colorado. Better yet, subscribe to never miss an issue and get 55 percent off the per-issue newsstand price. And don’t forget to purchase gift subscriptions for everyone you know who loves Colorado just as much as we do.